March 18, 2012

Snack ideas

Another hard part of transitioning to living gluten free is figuring out what to eat for snacks. Here are some of my favorites:

Trio bars: Trio bars are fruit, nut, and seed bars. I buy the big box at Costco. They taste great and are a great source of protein. It's a great pre-gym snack.

Nuts, trail mix, etc: These can also be high protein. Just make sure that you check the ingredient lists to make sure everything is gluten-free. Not all brands will be safe.

Popcorn: Check labels but most are gluten free.

Fresh fruits and veggies: You really can't go wrong with fresh, whole fruits and veggies. If you can, try to pick things that will be high in fiber (it can be hard to get enough fiber when you are gluten free). I usually cut up a few days worth of fruits and veggies and put individual servings in ziplock bags in my fridge then I can just grab 3-4 to take with me to work.

Salads: Add toppings like meat, hard boiled eggs, and nuts for extra protein.

Hummus: I love hummus. You can buy it at the store but it's pretty easy to make yourself at home. I prefer to eat hummus with carrots, bell peppers, and cucumbers but you can also have it with tortilla chips.

Lunchmeat: Make sure to check labels. Sometimes processed meat has gluten.

Eggs: High in protein but they require a little more preparation than most of the other things on this list. Try scrambled, omelets, or fried. For an quicker option, try making hard-boiled eggs ahead of time or mix eggs and your favorite toppings then bake in muffin tins and freeze for a quick snack.

String cheese

Yogurt

Gluten free cereal or granola: I know cereal is traditionally a breakfast food but I enjoy it for snacks too. I eat it dry or with milk, depending on where I am and what else I'm doing while I eat. In addition to the specialty gluten free cereals, check out Chex (not Wheat Chex), Pebbles, and gluten-free Rice Krispies.

Smoothies: Try blending one yogurt with 1 cup frozen fruit and 1/2 cup sugar-free juice. You could substitute Greek yogurt, add protein powder, add more fruit, or even add spinach.

Muffins, breads, etc: I wouldn't rely on these in general but if you have made/bought gluten free baked goods they make a great snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment